March 25, 2012

Fritillary Butterfly, Elsah, IL







        This is an edit of a photo I previously posted (see the original below). There was too much competition between the subject and the background. Isolating the butterfly makes the subject more interesting - keeping it's vibrancy while subduing the rest. I adjusted the basic levels and got nowhere. So I decided to take a different approach. I hand selected the butterfly, inverted that selection - only the background was selected- then brought down the saturation. As a result: the background lost some color and the bug is bright. 

        Notice the fuzzy places around the edges of the butterfly? That is me trying to compensate for a not-so-good selection by using the smudge tool. I even had to use the stamp tool above his right wing. 

        In the end I achieved the affect I wanted. It's a much stronger image now. There are limitless ways you can approach a problem like this. How would you solve it? Have a go at it. Feel free to download the original image below and alter to your hearts content. If you do please make a comment with a link to the image you came up with. Yes, I am giving you the right to copy this image, but please use it only for the purpose just stated. Thanks. 






1 comment:

Mark Stevens said...

That's some talent ! Final result is fantastic.