March 22, 2012

Statue depicting "Art" at the Boston Public Library







        It was a rainy morning in Boston. A friend and I were to meet up for a movie that day. Last we spoke the Copley Square Library entrance was the meet up point, but we lost communication on the subway. I found myself waiting at the steps of the Boston Public Library admiring the ethereal quality of the overcast cityscape. I have always appreciated the two statues flanking the steps leading up to the Library entrance, but with the rain and the diffused light they stood out to me even more.

Anyone who has shot in the rain knows that keeping your photography gear dry while shooting is not a simple task. Imagine me fumbling with a large umbrella while crouching down with my camera in both hands and all the while the rain sneaking in. As awkward as the process can be the results are well worth the effort.  Most people hide there cameras from the rain and don't put up with clumsy scenarios like mine. The brave few have an opportunity to capture images that convey a wonderful sense of atmosphere and mood. Next time you are thinking about shooting pick the rainiest day you can, grab your umbrella, and explore a whole new world that most of unwittingly miss.

Keep in mind that in these overcast conditions your subject is not as bright as you perceive. You will need to adjust your camera settings to get a shot that is not blurry from a too long exposure and camera shake, or better yet use a tripod. The photo above was the best of about 30 shots and I spent some time developing the final image in my editor. 

No comments: