March 9, 2012

Boston skyline from Memorial Drive looking across the Charles River







        This image of the Boston skyline is one of the first "raw" format photos taken with my new Cannon Rebel T3.

        When shooting in raw format it means that your camera has not interpreted, or developed, the image for you. In a sense it is like having a negative. With a raw image you have much greater editing capability.

        When shooting in a format other than raw your camera is automatically turning the image you have taken into a file format, like jpeg. In the process of doing this a LOT of "information" is lost or condensed. The range of value and color is diminished, details hidden in the dark shadows - which only seem invisible, but are retrievable - are lost.

        Because it is so much like a photo negative to me it seems unnecessary to post the original image, but for educational purposes and comparison, her is the unedited image.





























        Next time I  go to this location I will bring my tripod, close down the iris and leave the shutter open for 15 seconds or so. That should make for a richer image. The water will come through very smooth and glassy. There should be a greater sense of depth overall.

        This image was taken before I pushed myself to use the full manual mode, so I took this using the "night" setting. The creative potential of this subject is much greater than I was able to make use of on the night mode. Check back with my blog in the future for an improvement on this scene.



No comments: