March 19, 2012

Three Rivers Community Farm Flowers








        I had the opportunity and the privilege to work on Three River Community Farm in Elsah, IL the summer after graduating from Principia College. One of the greatest things about working on a farm is that you get to take home the freshest vegetables you will ever eat, and sometimes flowers come along with the deal. This is an image of an arrangement I made from flowers I took home from the farm. The houses in Elsah village are quaint and old. The subject is on a window ledge inside one of those historic homes. 

        The range of value is what appeals to me. It has the darkest darks, the bright whites, and a full range in between, not to mention the vibrant hues. This is expressed in the environment and also in the subject itself, creating a complete harmony. 

        There is a lovely relationship between the darkest part of the subject and the bright light on the window sill. As much as I like that bright red flower on the left I may crop most of it out to focus on that silhouette. It seems logical to either make the focus of an image be the relationship of hue or the relationship of value (I have never considered that before). Both are very much prominent in this image. So what I may do is bring down the saturation and play with the value to emphasize the gently diffused light and the shadow on the flowers. Onward and upward. 



No comments: